work of America's greatest 19th century organ builders, Elias and
George G. Hook, it was built in 1871 in New York City's St. Alphonsus
Church on lower Broadway. It has three manual keyboards, a pedal-board,
and 54 ranks of pipes. There are 2,994 pipes, the largest 16 feet
long, the smallest hardly the size of a pencil. The original case
of black walnut is 40 feet tall, 25 feet wide, and 15 feet deep.
The organ is fitted with "tracker action," which means there is a
direct mechanical connection between the keys and the valves under
the pipes. This type of action is reliable, long-lasting, and the
most artistically pleasing of all organ sound systems.
Two angel figures soar to the church ceiling from the corners of the
+ Previous + Tour
Copyright© 1999-2003 by the Knights of Columbus. All rights reserved.